Have you heard of an Instant Pot? This pot has become my favorite appliance in the kitchen. I love it for a few reasons. I purchased an Instant Pot with 7 features (pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, sauté/browning, yogurt maker, steamer and warmer) and feel I could eliminate a few appliance on the counter with just this one. With the warm season upon us, we have utilized the Instant Pot instead of the oven. I love how FAST this pot cooks everything. Cooking a whole chicken is very quick, simple and easy to do! In the past two weeks, we have used our instant pot to make stews (grabbing frozen meat and having a meal ready in 30 minutes is AMAZING), bone broths (cooks in two hours what I spent cooking for 2 days) and steaming vegetables. The Instant Pot continues to amaze me!
This recipe is for how to cook a whole chicken in an instant pot. If you do not have an instant pot, but a pressure cooker it will still work. However, your process for getting the pressure will be different, please follow your pot instructions. The cook time should be the same.
Cooking A Whole Chicken In An Instant Pot
1 whole chicken
Seasonings of choice
1 cup water
1 tbsp coconut oil
1. Place one cup of water in your Instant Pot and place the steam rack inside the pot.
2. In a large skillet heat the oil.
3. Cover the chicken in seasonings and place in the oil and allow the skin to sear for one minute on each side and remove from heat.
4. Place the chicken in the Instant Pot on the steam rack.
5. Lock the lid and set the Instant Pot to Chicken (it should be on high pressure) and adjust the time (you will need to do some math, it’s 6 mins per lb of chicken and then add 2 minutes to the total time. Example: 3lb chicken would be 3×6=18+2=20 minutes).
6. Allow chicken to stay in the pot and steam to release naturally for 15 minutes. You can leave the chicken in the pot longer, but I do not recommend longer than 30 minutes.
*DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR BONES…SAVE THEM AND MAKE BONE BROTH*