Some meals need the famous green bean casserole. However, when you think about the ‘old fashion’ green been casserole it is full of gluten, dairy and MSG…AND…you spend time putting it all together. I have created a green bean casserole Paleo style. It will take the same amount of time to prep, but gives your body fuel for the day.
This recipe calls for the onions to be caramelized. To caramelize onions, keep your frying pan on low heat and continue stirring every minute or two. You do not want to burn the onions and this will occur if the heat is too high. Caramelizing onions can take any where from 10 minutes to 20 minutes, based on the size of your onion and heat on the stove.
Green Bean Casserole Paleo Style
3lbs fresh green beans
1 large onion diced
1 garlic clove
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 TBL coconut oil
1/3 cup bone broth
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place parsnips in a pot of boiling water and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
3. In another pot, cook green beans until they are soft (about 12 minutes).
4. Places coconut oil in a fry pan and melt. Add in onions and cook until caramelized.
5. Once parsnips are cooked, place in blender with garlic clove and bone broth. Puree together.
6. When green beans are soft, drain and place in a bowl. Add in puree parsnip mixture. Mix well.
7. Place mixture in a 9×13 pan.
8. Spread caramelized onions across the top of the green bean casserole.
9. Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.