This past weekend I visited the farmers market and found two amazing Michigan grown items, strawberries from Green Garden Farms and rhubarb from Scobey’s. Needless to say, as I’m browsing through the farmers market, I am thinking about how this pie was requested by my dad for his birthday. Well, either a strawberry rhubarb pie or a rhubarb custard pie. He never was the cake type, rather a pie/crisp treat type. Today would mark his 69th birthday. Although he may not be here to celebrate in person, his spirit and love for pie has lived on in me! Needless to say, I’ve taken his favorite pie and created a ‘clean’ Paleo version and am celebrating in his honor without him!
1 pint strawberries
2 lbs rhubarb
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp arrowroot flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 scoops Vital Proteins gelatin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Thinly slice the strawberries and rhubarb and place in a bowl.
- Place remaining ingredients in the bowl, excluding the gelatin and allow flavors to marinate until oven is ready.
- Sprinkle in the gelatin into the mix and pour into an uncooked pie crust.
- Place pie in the oven and bake for 25-30mins until crust is light brown and cooked.
- Remove pie from oven and allow it to cool, then place in the fridge to set further until serving.