Growing up, I use to hate this sour vegetable called rhubarb. As I’ve grown up, I know have come to love this plant! I love creating cookies, bars and pies with it. My father use to love rhubarb pie. A rhubarb custard pie would always make an appearance on his birthday. I find it only fitting I post this recipe on his 68th birthday today. Although my father is not present in my life and now watching down on me, I know he has helped build me into the person I am today. The picture below is from my wedding almost eight years ago in August…it seems like yesterday, but I guess time does fly!
When getting rhubarb for this pie, I will let you in on a little secret of my mothers. One stalk of rhubarb is about 1 cup, so for this recipe you will need 3 stalks give or take depending on the stalk size.
Rhubarb Custard Pie
1 unbaked pie crusts
3 tbsp coconut milk
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp & 2 tsp coconut flour
3 cups rhubarb
1 tsp butter
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Place eggs, maple syrup, coconut milk and nutmeg in a large bowl and whisk together.
3. Add coconut flour and tapioca flour into mixture.
4. Fold the rhubarb into mixture
5. Pour mixture into an unbaked pie shell and bake for 50-60 minutes.
6. Allow pie to cool 20 minutes prior to cutting into it.