Yesterday I was at the farmers market and they were selling butternut squash for one dollar each. I move onto the next table and he has Michigan apples for three dollars a basket. Then I had a thought come into my head about combining both items to create a soup. Of course I left the market with a squash and a basket of apples.
For this recipe, I did use my vitamix. This is one of best Christmas presents I have ever gotten. I’ll never forget my husband thinking my mom was crazy for spending soo much money on a blender. However, we use this blender every day. I should name the Vitamix and put it in our Christmas photo as part of our family!
Squash Soup With Apples
3 cups butternut squash cut into 1-2inch squares
4 apples cored, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut milk (out of a can)
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place butternut squash a baking sheet.
3. I sprayed my squash with coconut oil and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
4. While squash is baking, place 1/2 cup of chicken stock in a pan on medium heat with your apples. Allow the apples to cook down.
5. When squash is ready, remove from oven. Mine was lightly golden brown on top.
6. Place half of the squash, half the apples and 2 cup of chicken stock in a blender. Puree the mixture together and then pour into a large pot. (You could place all ingredients in your pot and use an immersion blender)
7. Repeat step 6 to get all the mixture pureed.
8. Stir mixture together and add in the ginger, nutmeg and salt. Allow the mixture to warm on low heat.
9. Pour 1/2 a cup of coconut milk into the soup. Gently stir in and remove from heat.
10. Soup goes great with pancetta or bacon!
*If you want to add pancetta to the mixture, I cooked mine on low heat to caramelize it. I purchase the container with it already pre-cut into small pieces. I then added a few sprinkles into each bowl before serving. This gives it a great salty taste with a sweet soup.