These pecan and apple muffins got me through the last week of the 21 day sugar detox. They kept me sane when I had a craving for bread. Well, perhaps I thought I stayed sane…the verdict may still be out from my husbands stand point. For those who are not looking to remove sugar from your diet, these are awesome! They taste like a bite of apple pie all tucked into a muffin! The spices blend them all together and remind me of a fall day or spiced Chai!
Pecan & Apple Muffins
1 – green apple
1 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup maple syrup (omit if doing 21dsd)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Take the green apple and remove the peel. Cut the apple down to have small squares (slice the apple thinly horizontal and then slice small lines vertically).
3. Place a small skillet on medium heat and add ghee to the pan. Allow the ghee to melt down.
4. Place the apple squares into the pan and slowly cook them down until soft, but not mushy (about 5 minutes) and remove from heat.
5. Get out a large bowl and whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
6. Stir the coconut flakes and pecans into the egg mixture.
7. Sift the coconut flour into the egg mixture and stir the batter all together.
8. Fold the cooked apple pieces into the batter.
9. Place batter into muffin liners within the muffin pan.
10. Bake the muffins for 15-18 minutes.